post no. 92 -- Welcome to the Emotional Roller Coaster that is Life


Don't lie, some days we all get a little all over the place, me included. Some days it's hard to forget the past, and focus on the future. This morning was one of those days. All I could think about was how I've screwed up in the past, and just some overall negative thoughts. I kept reliving past jobs, friendships, and life in general. I had an anxiety attack, all while staying rather calm. I know there are probably a lot of people out there that have the same thoughts running through their mind, and I know how depressing that can be. 

But how do you get over it? How do you move past what you're feeling, and focus on the + ? 

You have to take a major step back. For every action that has happened in your past and mine, there have been reactions. I'm going to go back in time quite a bit for this example. Summer 2004, I was in Washington visiting family. My mom and I had gone up together, but she had flown back early and I was up there for the rest of the week with my aunt. One morning I get a call from my mom. We're moving to Laguna Beach. About an hour plus away from my school, it meant moving to the public schools in town. Leaving friends I had known since elementary school right as I was about to enter high school was the farthest thing from my plans. But that's life. I went almost two years without any true friends, and even after I met Martha, we had our ups and downs. But by moving to Laguna, I met Kris. And now we're married, and even though sometimes there is nothing I would rather do than scream at him, I love him to pieces. 

Every friend I let go, or opportunity I passed up led me to where I'm at right now. And where I am right now, even though it's not all sunshine and roses, makes me happy. 

When I started writing this post, I was the farthest thing from chipper. But slowly but surely things get better. When you're feeling down, try to think about something happy. If you're having a little bit more trouble, try the following:

  1. Go for a walk. 
  2. Do something fun that you haven't in awhile.
  3. Do something creative. 
  4. Complete some minor chore that you've been avoiding.
  5. Get in contact with an old friend that you haven't seen in awhile. 
For more on the tips above check out this site. Feel free to send me an e-mail if you just need someone to talk to or just to help you feel better. 

The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody else up.  ~Mark Twain


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...